Mattresses come in so many different versions, types and firmness that it can be mind blogging when trying to decide which is best for you. For anyone who has back pain at all, it is certainly better to opt for firmer mattresses. Just make sure that the base of the mattress comes with a divan. A solid divan can make a world of difference, in terms of the overall support and comfort that you can get out of it. Your back pain problems will certainly diminish as well with the help of a solid and firm mattress.
For those concerned with mattress prices, we recommend trying out a pocket sprung mattress. Pocket sprung mattresses are very flexible in the sense that they have a huge price range, which means you get to decide how much you wish to spend on it. Obviously, the higher the price is, the more features and support you’re essentially getting from the mattress. The better ones will probably have a higher spring count, which is necessary especially if your mattress size is huge. A king size mattress, for example, requires a much higher spring count in order to maintain its comfort. A higher spring count also means that less pressure is exerted on each spring, thus allowing all of them to last longer as a whole. Take a look at these king mattresses if you are searching for the best king size mattress in the market today.
If you’re thinking about using your mattress for the next 10 years or so, you may as well pay the premium now so that you don’t have to change it as often. The cheaper mattresses might only last you 5 years or so. The support factor is equally as important in choosing the right type of mattress for you. For example, if a mattress is heavily padded on the top, that adds a solid amount of support and that can be important especially for heavy users. Heavy people might find thinner mattresses a huge nuisance since it will feel like they are sleeping on a really hard surface when there’s not enough material to compress due to their weight.
In such scenarios, open coil mattresses could be the solution. With an open coil mattress, the springs are essentially grouped together as a whole in the bottom or middle layer. With this, the entire mattress is essentially supported by all the springs at once. This allows equal weight distribution across the entire surface, something which pocket sprung mattresses do not allow for. Pocket sprung mattresses, on the other hand, have hundreds or in some cases thousands of individually pocketed springs which are then compiled together in the mattress.
Because of the extra work that have to be put into wrapping each individual coil as well as making sure they function perfectly, pocket sprung mattresses are considered a luxury by many. As a result, these tend to be much more expensive too. Each spring moves independently of one another, which is great for couples who’re sharing a single bed. When one person gets up from one side of the bed, the mattress remains perfectly still on the other side. Motion transfer is not as noticeable on this mattress than any others, including memory foam mattresses.
When we were kids, I’m sure many of us had novelty bedsheets whether it was NASCAR or Power Rangers, with the lucky few even having the privilege of novelty beds themselves. As kids, having those bedsheets was considered ‘cool’ and ‘totally wicked awesome’. Well as we grow and mature into adulthood, society deems it weird for a fully grown adult to still be having Captain Planet bedsheets, proving once and for all that society tries its best to mold adults into boring worker drones. As adults we can only express ourselves through acceptable corporate brands, such as being an Apple fanboy, or a luxury watch enthusiast. You can be different, but not too different (I’m so different, I use this memory foam pillow which is voted the best pillow for neck pain, take that conformists! That’s really because I suffer from neck pains due to using pillows without adequate support in the past)
So what’s a grownup nerd to do then? Well for sure you can keep your latest videogame consoles and gaming PCs in your wife-allowed ‘man cave’, but what if you wish to express your inner nerd in even more areas of your life? Well, have no fear, because these nerdy novelty pillows are here!
- Nintendo Game Boy Pillow – This novelty pillow which is obviously shaped like a massively oversized Nintendo Game Boy will allow you to reminisce on the good times of playing Mario Bros or Street Fighter on your game boy as a kid. The best part is that the game boy front is not just a screen print; it’s actually additional layers stitched on top for a more realistic 3-D feel (the A and B buttons are even small tiny round cushions sewn on top). A great addition for your nerd den (or bedroom, if you live alone and don’t care too much about bringing back overnight guests); bonus points if you actually play your real Nintendo Game Boy while resting on this pillow.
- Space Invaders Pillow – Was Space Invaders one of the most addictive games ever created? Based on my personal experience, I would say 100% yes. I must have blown countless hours into that game (that I really should have used to play outside and get some exercise, but I digress) and these pillows, measuring 14 inches by 14 inches each with those famously pixelated aliens represented in white on a dark blue background are a great way to reminisce on such good times while chilling on your couch. All the different alien designs are represented of course.
- Glow In The Dark Star Trek Pillows – Ahhhh, Trekkies. No quicker way to set them off than by insulting Captain Kirk or Picard or saying one is better than the other; depending on the Trekkie you might either get vehement agreement or a challenge of a nerd duel to the death. If you are a diehard Trekkie, then what better way to demonstrate your love than by these Star Trek Glow in the Dark Pillows? Featuring designs of either the Enterprise or Spock (silhouetted in black with the Starfleet Academy logo outlined in silver), these pillows are almost a must-have for the hardcore Trekkie.
- Super Mario Bros Question Mark Pillow – Speaking of game boys and Mario Bros here comes the Super Mario Bros Question Mark pillow! While this pillow does not feature our mustached Italian protagonists, it does feature the iconic ‘question mark block’ that made you crave what was inside when playing the game; simple token or mushroom? Unfortunately no matter how many times you whack your head on this pillow, the only mushroom you might find will be the lump that grows on your head.
- NES Controller Pillow – Another old school geek classic, there must be legions of nerds out there who still have their NES controller gathering dust in their attic or garage. While most NES games can now be reliably emulated on your computer, nothing beats the feeling of playing it on the NES itself. The NES Controller pillow then is a great addition to your geek den, and comes in a four set, two large and two small with the larger pillows measuring 18 inches by 9 inches and the smaller ones measuring 12 inches by 6 inches. They’re comfortable too, made of ecospun felt, and would no doubt make great geeky couch pillows.
Geeks everywhere rejoice; while you may have been made fun of in school, you can rest assured that you are the ones that have gotten the last laugh, what with your computer science and engineering degrees and your six-figure salaries. So why not flaunt your geekiness, it is part of who you are after all, and get some of these nerdy novelty pillows?